Obesity is a condition where there is an excess storage of fat in the body. Obesity, which is excessive accumulation of fat in the body, is determined by measuring a person’s Body Mass Index (BMI). It is defined as weight 20% or above the body mass index (BMI). When a person eats or consumes food in excess of the quantity required by his body, it results in obesity. Obesity is common among western countries and higher income group in India and other developing countries. Generally, a BMI between 18.5 and 25 is considered desirable. If your BMI is 30 or more, you are considered obese. Obese person carries the risk of increased possibility of developing diseases like hypertension, diabetes, gallbladder disorders etc.
According to Ayurveda, the food we eat is converted into energy and the toxins are removed from the body. However, if we do not use our body efficiently, these toxins are not removed in their entirety. Instead, these toxins accumulate and then wreak havoc on your body. Ultimately, they cause fat to accumulate in the body as well. This fat is stubborn and refuses to budge – no matter how much you exercise or control your diet. Obesity is a great concern not merely because of the excess weight, but also because it makes you susceptible to a number of serious health problems such as Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and others.
Causes of obesity
Inactive and sedentary lifestyle also is a cause for obesity. Obesity is mainly caused due to overeating. This excess energy stored in the body is converted to fat and sugar and gives the person the appearance of being overweight. Some people have the habit to consume more food than is required for them for a long period of time.
- Medical conditions such as thyroid disorders
- Overeating due to emotional disturbances
- Genetic constitution and
- Metabolic disorders.
Top 10 Natural Ayurvedic Remedies for Weight Loss
- Fasting once a week is recommended in Ayurveda for detoxification and efficient functioning of digestive system. You can have water, green teas (ginger tea, tulsi tea, mint tea, etc) and clear vegetable soups.
- Commiphora wightii resin, commonly known as Guggul, is a powerful fat burner. It could correct lipid disorders and treat obesity. It could lower total cholesterol, the bad cholesterol or low density lipoprotein and triglycerides. It could even elevate the concentration of high – density lipoprotein or the good cholesterol in the blood.
- Aloe Vera has incredible health benefits one of which especially includes assistance in losing weight. The juice of Aloe Vera has been particularly noted to have outstanding ability for inducing loss of excess body weight.
- Mint, referred to as Pudinah in Hindi, it has extremely powerful weight loss inducing abilities, thanks in particular to the way in which it stimulates the gall bladder to release additional bile, which of course makes fat digestion a lot easier (instead of letting it accumulate on the system).
- Cabbage is an excellent home remedy for losing weight fast. Tartaric acid present in cabbage prevents conversion of carbohydrates and sugar into fat. Substituting a meal for a cabbage salad is the best way to lose weight.
- Papaya is also a very good home remedy for fast weight loss. Eating papaya soup instead of dinner for two or three months will reduce weight of the patient.
- The most common remedy is lemon with honey. This potent combo reduces appetite, detoxifies the body and aids with weight loss without affecting your health. Every morning, the first thing you consume right after brushing should be warm water with lemon juice and honey.
- While lemon and honey will do the trick, adding pepper powder makes it more potent. Though it is not a compulsion to have early morning, you can have it once during the day.
- Ginger might assist weight loss. The phytochemicals present in ginger regulate the metabolism of cholesterol and controls oxidation of fatty acids. It inhibits fat accumulation and lowers the cholesterol level in the blood.
- In the traditional Indian medicine system, the root tubers of cyperus rotundus is used for accelerating weight loss. It enables fat burning by inducing thermogenesis.